Know Divorce Law with Answers to Legal Questions in Albuquerque, NM

How long does divorce take?

A divorce can take a few days or many, many months. How long a divorce takes has a lot to do with how amicable the parties are and how many issues they have to resolve. If the parties agree on how to divide assets, liabilities, custody, and support, then the divorce will take much less time, possibly just a few days.

How much does a divorce cost?

A divorce can cost anywhere from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. The cost of a divorce is usually directly related to how willing the parties are to agree on division of property, assets, liabilities, and custody and how many issues have to be determined by other means. If the parties agree on very little, then a divorce can get expensive.

What if my spouse committed adultery or is otherwise at fault for the divorce?

New Mexico is a no fault state, meaning it is not necessary to prove anyone was to blame for the divorce. A common misconception is that it is relevant if a party committed adultery. In reality, infidelity does not make a difference: a party does not get more or less property, pay, or receive more or less spousal support, nor is it a factor in custody and timesharing/visitation.

Do I have to go to court to get a divorce?

Not necessarily, most of the issues in a divorce can be decided by the parties and their respective lawyers outside of the courtroom.

What is marital property?

Marital property is property acquired by either spouse during the course of a marriage.

Is what I tell my attorney confidential?

Yes. You have a right to attorney/client confidentiality. Your attorney is prohibited from telling other people what you have told him or her.

May I bring someone with me to meetings with my attorney?

Yes, but keep in mind that you will be waiving attorney/client confidentiality where that person is concerned. If you are comfortable with that, then bringing someone is fine. However, we do not recommend that you bring children into a meeting with your attorney.